Sunday, February 26, 2012

It's Delivery! Not DiGigiorno's!

I am actually really excited to write this blog. I feel like in the few short weeks of pregnancy, approximately 18 weeks now, I have discovered so much about what I wanted for my pregnancy and what was important to me. Things I never thought I would say or do all started to come full circle with this moment. 

 After several trips to the bookstore, I managed to build a collection of books on meditation, hypnosis and even some on just what to expect during this pregnancy. (Always good to just have a straight forward guide or reference in case your body starts do something you just didn't expect.) Which basically is the description of pregnancy! Meditation wasn't really working for me like I hoped. First, finding the time during the day to just sit and clear my mind while centering my Chakra was already difficult enough. If I had the ability to do any one of those items before I probably would have long before the pregnancy. Hypnosis was interesting, but I found myself learning more about how to hypnotize than actually becoming hypnotized. I can't say it was a complete failure for me. I did find a great way to fall asleep quickly, but none of the information seemed to really be sinking in or making me feel better. The reason behind these techniques was to help me deal with anxiety, mostly the labor part and also help me feel like I could really do this. I needed some confidence and I needed to feel like I was in control, no matter what my birth plan was. Which at this time was to just get through this without screaming, yelling and panicking! 

I started to go through my Netflix collection of online streaming documentaries. I remembering hearing about one documentary in particular that focused on birth and the hospital industry. 

"The Business of Being Born". 





I really had no idea on what to expect from this film and I am not one of those types that buys into the hype of things right away. This film was really nothing that I expected but everything I was looking for. Let me clarify that I didn't just think "Oh, I can totally do a natural labor and hospitals are horrible, let me get right on this!". The idea of natural labor still scared the crap out of me. Did you see the woman in the lobby screaming from the pain??! I mean this film didn't necessarily make it seem like it was suddenly any easier to handle the pain of labor and contractions. This was real work! What this film did show me was that I had options. I had a lot more options than anyone had advised me about, or frankly maybe even knew about. 

When we hear someone say they had natural labor the first reaction we give is "OMG, why?" The truth is why would anyone want to choose pain over modern science. I have to tell you that once you truly start to  investigate what happens during labor with your body and what side effects an epidural potentially has, it may change your mind. Now, I have had women tell me "We'll I went natural because I didn't want any drugs to be leaked to my unborn baby." I can respect that, but for me....that just wasn't my bottom line. Don't get me wrong, it is a great reason to avoid an epidural but I think I needed more. Personally, I felt like that wasn't a big enough risk in order for me to avoid a painless child birth. I mean, I have had numerous-basically all of my friends with children, had taken this route. So why wasn't I just following their lead?

I really recommend anyone who is going through pregnancy to view all sides and all options. This was just a start for me. This film provided a great deal of information that I otherwise would have never known about. It doesn't mean that I don't think a hospital is a proper place to for child birth, and certainly doesn't mean I am now on the mission for a home birth. It just means I have options that I am going to explore.

On yet again, another mission!





If you have seen this documentary and have a review, I would love to hear about it. I want to know how other women perceived this film. I would also love to hear from mom's who have had hospital and non-traditional birth experiences, how was it? Would you do things the same way again?











No comments:

Post a Comment