Thursday, February 23, 2012

HypnoTherapy in Hollywood


    I read an article about Jessica Alba and her experience with giving birth. I think after some of my recent adventures I am on a mission to find out what everyone else is doing. Her article really caught my attention. She mentioned that she studied hypnosis during her pregnancy to help her deal with pain! Okay, so I always got the power of suggestion and read tons of books on thinking positive equals positive results...but could this really work? I think I started picturing my self finding a hypnotist, sitting in front of him while he dangled a shiny object on a chain back and forth..."Your getting sleepy....very sleepy." Haha. Isn't that how it goes? 
    
Not sure that is exactly what she meant. Actually the more I am researching this the more I am finding that it is more of an awake hypnosis done through the power of suggestion. Apparently, this kind of "hypnotherapy" is very effective for those trying to quit smoking, losing weight, or just giving them control over something they otherwise may have not had. Suddenly Patrick Swayze comes to mind in Roadhouse, "Pain don't hurt." Is that what he meant? The mind is more powerful than the body? Hmmm...Not sure I am completely convinced just yet. 
   So I find myself venturing down this unknown road. Now I am sitting on the bookstore floor with a stack of miscellaneous books circling me. I mean, where better to discover more information than your local bookstore floor with a yummy caffeine-free beverage and pastry? At least this part felt right.  
    I collected books on pregnancy, what to expect during pregnancy, hypnosis,  meditation, and whatever else seemed to call out to me. Oh, and of course there are several variations of each category. Over whelming much?! Where do I begin? What am I even looking for?     Most of the books on pregnancy or what to expect during pregnancy are medical inclined.
When to see a doctor, what to expect during certain trimesters, and let's not forget, there will be pain. Gee, thanks. I can't seem to escape that point! It was almost like listening to my family give me advice but with a more straight forward approach and less blood. Still...not finding any comfort there. 
    I moved on to the pile of comedy pregnancy books. Now these seemed more my style. Reading about Jenny McCarthy and her approach to pregnancy was like listening to my girlfriend joke about her swelling feet and attempt at sex with a basketball under her shirt. I actually thumbed through a great deal of this book just as a sigh of relief that this could be humorous even if unpleasant. Again, this still didn't seem to be what I was looking for. 
   So now onto meditation. I have been wanting to do meditation for sometime now, and I have always heard great things about it. Maybe this would help me with the anxiety of pregnancy. I flipped through a few variations until I found one that seemed simple and easy to follow. I think I found what I was looking for, at least for now. Time to head home and get my Chakras aligned. hehe. This may not be the answer, but at least it feels like a start to relieving some of the anxiety I am feeling. :) 
   



No comments:

Post a Comment